How to Setup a Tattoo Kit
Thanks for purchasing Solong Tattoo® Kit. As starter or professional tattoo machine kits, Solong Tattoo® Kits are great because we offer all the quality parts you need for tattooing. For those who want better quality parts, purchasing individual components is the path for you. You can get all range tattoo equipment from Solong Tattoo® online store https://www.solongtattoo.com.
You can follow 2 steps to set up your tattoo machine kit.
Step 1. Assembling the Gun
1. Sanitize your hands. Tattoo guns need to be treated with the utmost care. Take precautions before handling these machines. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap or wear latex gloves.
2. Familiarize yourself with the gun. The frame holds all the pieces together. Then you have two electromagnetic coils which provide the power for the machine. The coils rapidly move the armature bar, which is connected to a barred needle. The power supply connects to the electromagnetic coils. All of these components can be removed or replaced as needed.
3. Assemble the barrel. Inspect the grip of the gun. There are two sides of the grip for the tube and the gun’s tip. Set these to the preferable length, and tighten the two screws on the grip. On average the needle shouldn’t exceed the tip more than 2 mm and no less than 1 mm. If there is excessive blood, then your needle is too long.
4. Set up the needle. Take a look at the needles you received with the kit. You should have a few different sizes of needles. Install one of the needles by inserting it through the tube towards the tip. Be careful not to dull a needle while assembling.
5. Secure the nipple. The nipple, also known as a grommet, secures the needle and grip to the gun’s base. Place a nipple on the armature bar pin. Fasten the needle’s blunt end onto the nipple.
6. Adjust the needle. Once you’ve assembled the grip, you need to adjust the length of how much the needle is exposed. You can adjust the needle’s exposure by adjusting the tube vise. The tube vise is the adjustable screw in between the armature and needle.
Step 2. Connecting the Power Supply
1. Power supplies vary in specifications and voltages. Examine the power supply, make sure you are running the proper voltage into your machine.
2. Attach your footswitch to the power supply. The footswitch activates and regulates the power from the power supply to the needle.
3. Connect the gun to the power supply. You’ll need to connect the gun to the power supply using clip cords. There will be a clear location at the bottom of the gun for the cable to connect to. There should only be two inputs on the power supply itself. Make sure you connect the cables in their proper location.
4. Test the machine. Once everything is connected and assembled, you’re ready to test the gun. The needle should vibrate at a quick speed upon pressing the footswitch.
5. Practice on fruit. A good way to practice your art is by practicing on apples, pears or practice skins.
As a reminder, we also have an article on how to set up a coil tattoo machine for reference.